Friday, June 21, 2013

Frugal Friday


The past couple of years Doni Speigle of Whiskers and Wool (I love her potholder patterns!) has been creating a series of holiday ornaments that are worked around a 2 inch plastic ring. Me, being the cheap frugal person I am, started saving the plastic rings from our gallon water jugs to use as the center ring. Why buy something when I can re-use a similar thing I have already, right? :)


She calls these ornaments, but I was thinking about making some plant pokes out of these. Or maybe a couple of fridge magnets. There's always room for one more, right? :)


This yellow one is the same pattern. I just changed it up a little bit by replacing the center stitch on each petal with a ch-3 picot. It's funny how changing one minor detail can make something look so different. It kind of looks like a sun, or if done in red, a poinsettia?


I really like how these turned out. I will definitely be making lots more. :)
 

5 comments:

  1. I love the white ones!! They look like a daisy. Great job using what is on hand. and thanks for sharing the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these little flowers - they're very cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are just brilliant! What a clever idea to reuse those plastic rings - going to scour the recycling box to see if I have any to follow suit! I especially love your picot version - you're absolutely right, in red it's a perfect poinsettia. Thank you for sharing this. E x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies for the compliments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are very pretty ! Thanks April for sharing the pictures !

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you so please leave me a comment. I will try to respond asap. :)

I don't, however, love to hear from spammers so I've had to turn on comment moderation. My apologies if it takes a little while for your comment to show up.