Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Another History Lesson

I promise to keep this one brief! I just wanted to follow up a bit on my previous posts about George Washington Carver and antique patterns.

Undoubtedly, one of the most popular, as well as historical, crochet items that was ushered into the new millennium has been the shawl. Many Prayer Shawl Ministries have emerged in the past decade or so in an effort to provide comfort and emotional support to those experiencing hardship and loss. What once was worn primarily as a garment of necessity, has become one of comfort and support.

I thought it would be fun to re-create a Civil War Era Shawl and share the pattern with everyone for your ministries, personal use, or participation in Civil War Reenactment. Keep an eye out for the pattern within the next week. In the meanwhile, here's a sneak preview:



For more details about the history of crochet, Ruthie Marks has provided a wonderfully detailed historical timeline of crochet. It is posted at Crochet.org. (opens as a PDF)

1 comment:

  1. Hello there - did you ever post the shawl pattern, please

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you so please leave me a comment. I will try to respond asap. :)

I don't, however, love to hear from spammers so I've had to turn on comment moderation. My apologies if it takes a little while for your comment to show up.