Tuesday, March 2, 2010

National Women's History Month

Yesterday I talked about National Crochet Month, well March is also National Women's History Month. What started just a few decades ago as International Women's Day, has evolved to encompass a full month dedicated to educating students of all ages about the importance of women throughout history.

This year's theme is Writing Women Back into History. Although it may be politically incorrect in today's society, it is a fact, historically speaking, that crochet and most other needlewark was primarily seen as "woman's work". Antique Pattern Library is working to preserve the the art form by making available the many patterns our foremothers used during the 19th and early 20th centuries.

Included in the library are crochet, knitting, tatting, embroidery, needle lace and other kinds of needlework patterns. No matter your needleart of choice, you will surely find something there that will help you give you a sense of needleart history.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you so please leave me a comment. I will try to respond asap. :)

I don't, however, love to hear from spammers so I've had to turn on comment moderation. My apologies if it takes a little while for your comment to show up.